The Vision of ABC Central Ohio is an environment in which people and companies succeed based on free-enterprise principles within the free-market system.
Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national construction industry trade association representing nearly 21,000 members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 70 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically, profitably and for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work. ABC’s membership represents all specialties within the U.S. construction industry and is comprised primarily of firms that perform work in the industrial and commercial sectors.
ABC Central Ohio is the original state chapter, founded in 1968 to create an association based on the shared belief that construction projects should be awarded on merit to the most qualified and responsible low bidders. Subsequent chapters have since been established in Northern Ohio and in the Ohio Valley area.
ABC Central Ohio’s activities include government representation, legal advocacy, education, workforce development, communications, technology, recognition through our chapter awards programs, employee benefits, information on best practices, and business development.
Members of ABC Central Ohio:
- Believe in the system of free enterprise.
- Believe employees and employers should have the right to determine wages and working conditions through either individual or collective bargaining, as they choose, within the boundaries of the law.
- Believe the employer must have concern for the general welfare of the employee and that there must be a fair compensation for work performed. At the same time, we believe that the employee has an obligation for satisfactory performance of assigned work.
- Support sound legislation in the areas of workers compensation, safety and unemployment compensation.
- Support legislation that embraces fair play for employer and employee and believes this is essential to the preservation of our free enterprise system.
- Oppose monopolies or any kind of price or wage fixing, in either the public or private sector, are detrimental to our system of free enterprise.
- Believe the law should protect the right of employees to work regardless of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin or membership or non-membership in a labor organization. We believe work opportunities should be made available to all legal residents and we support programs toward this end.
- Believe it is incumbent upon all branches of government to be responsible stewards of taxpayer dollars and we believe that government should award contracts only to the lowest responsible bidder. We oppose unjust pressure to violate these principles.
- Believe the destiny of all Americans can be best served by cooperation, reconciliation and following the tenants of free enterprise and a democratic government. We believe business leaders can best preserve these tenets by becoming active in politics and civic affairs.
- Oppose violence, coercion, intimidation and the denial of the rights of employees and employers.
ABC Central Ohio values the highest levels of personal and corporate standards of behavior characterized by responsibility, accountability and integrity, with demonstrated personal and industry professionalism by all participants.
Director of Government Affairsbwilliams@abcofohio.org
The association is governed by an 11-member board of directors. The board meets on the second Tuesday of each month.
All members of the association are eligible to serve on the board. Anyone interested should contact the ABC Central Ohio office at 614-529-4300 for additional details.
Executive Vice President
Haughn & Associates, Inc.
Scott Ruth (Vice-Chair)
Larry McKeever (Past-Chair)
McKeever & Niekamp Electric, Inc.
Scott Bechtel (Treasurer)
Tax Senior Manager
GBQ Partners, LLC
Claggett & Sons, Inc.
Bi-Con Services, Inc. – Construction Division
Freeland Contracting Company
Principal, Director of Construction
Rea & Associates, Inc.
Philip Sisia, Jr.
Sales Manager / Designer
Vice President of Interior Operations
G III Reitter Walls
Mason Law Firm