State Senator Kristina Roegner is introducing a bill to expedite inspection appeals. The bill will:
- allow a contractor to appeal a local inspection to the state’s Board of Building Appeals and request an “expedited appeal”
- require the appeal begin within 24 hours of the request and
- cost the contractor $500/day for the inspection, not to exceed $1,500.
Contact your State Senator today and ask him/her to co-sponsor this important piece legislation!
The easiest way to do this is to download the ABC Action app, available on the Apple App Store and Google Play and register under ABC Central Ohio. The ABC Action app is an advocacy tool that enables members to become a vital part of ABC’s grassroots advocacy efforts. App features include:
- Send messages to your elected officials with just one click.
- Receive instant notifications on grassroots and legislative alerts.
- View federal representatives’ voting records on key ABC issues.
- Find information on state construction environments and elected officials.
- Browse the latest tweets from ABC, DOL, NLRB, OSHA, EEOC, and more.
If you would rather email or mail a response, sample language is provided below.
Dear [State Senator]
This week State Senator Kristina Roegner is asking for co-sponsors for her bill which will provide an option for contractors to request an expedited building inspection appeal from the state’s Board of Building Appeals.
As a constituent of yours who works in the construction industry, I support this bill and am asking you to co-sponsor it.
Our current process for appealing local building department decisions is practically useless. It often takes 30 days or more to go through the existing process – commercial construction can NOT afford to shut down work for 30 days, especially with the added complications of the current COVID-19 environment.
This bill gives contractors the opportunity to purchase, at their own expense, an expedited appeal. It will bring more accountability to local building departments that sometimes go beyond the scope of their responsibilities when demanding additional hoops for construction companies.
The bill will not eliminate the current appeals process, but adds an option that will keep construction projects on track and on budget.
Please contact State Senator Roegner’s office today and co-sponsor the Expedited Inspection Appeals bill.